We were thankful that our teammates and some Ukranian friends were able to come and cheer the girls up.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Girls' First Gymnastics Competition (by Julia)
Nadia and Anna had their first competition a few days ago. Besides a scramble to get them performance leotards, everything went well. We were told about the date about 3 weeks earlier, and the time was told us the night before! Almost as soon as I learned about the competition, I asked the coach about leotards. Yes, she said, they need them. As it turns out, it's virtually impossible to buy a performance gymnastics leotard here. I found one for Anna, and with minor alterations (the skirt needed to be shortened) and some needle work sewing on sequins, it was good to go.
Nadia's leo was a different story. I could not find anything in her size. We resorted to her old ballet costume. I cut off the straps, sewed on mesh top and sleeves, added a coordinating applique, a mesh skirt and a few iron-on 'crystals'. The leo was finished on the day of the competition.
The girls had a great time. Nadia told me she really enjoyed performing "solo." Anna did well. It always amazes me that a 4-year old can remember a dance or a routine. She said she had a good time.
We were thankful that our teammates and some Ukranian friends were able to come and cheer the girls up.
We were thankful that our teammates and some Ukranian friends were able to come and cheer the girls up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment