Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Park, Rides, and More Adventures of the Broken Arm


Yesterday afternoon we went to a park with the pastor and his family. There are several parks in the downtown area where kids can ride carousels, small trains, horses, and even do bungee jumping on a trampoline! We had a great time there and got to know Sergei, Olya and Bogdan better. In the picture Nadia is enjoying a stroll with Bogdan, who is 19 months old.

We have been warmly welcomed into the church family here, and it is our priority to develop relationships with our Ukrainian brothers and sisters. We have been inviting church people over our apartment for dinner as often as we can, and it has helped us tremendously to get to know them better.

Today Julia had to go to the doctor twice to have Polly's cast removed. She writes:
I put Polly in the sling, which I thought would be better than trying to manage Polly and the stroller while trying to get on a bus. We made it to the clinic fine. The doctor's door was locked, but then I saw a key turning in the keyhole, and a nurse poked her head out. I asked her if the doctor was in, and she replied that no, he was not in, and she needed to find out herself when he would be in because she just got there. She closed the door. After five minutes of waiting I realized that she was not coming back with information, but that I had to go downstairs and inquire myself. The receptionist downstairs told me the time that was different than the schedule posted in the receptionist window. I did not argue. We went back home.

In the afternoon Jamie was at the session meeting, and our teammate came over to watch the kids while Polly and I went to the clinic again. This time there was a good crowd near the doctor's door. We finally made it in, and the doctor took the cast off. "The most important thing during the next three or four weeks," he said, "is to avoid injury. Make sure she does not fall." I mentioned that Polly was just starting to walk. He replied, "Whatever it takes, just carry her around for the next couple of weeks."

Polly is doing well. Tonight she had a much-needed bath since before the injury (we were not supposed to get her cast wet and did not want to experiment trying to give her a bath). I am trying to figure out our life for the next couple of weeks. In the picture big helper Polly is loading the washing machine (with her cast still on). I wonder, why didn't they keep the cast on for an extra week?

2 comments:

MomtoAPKMGJCandL said...

Julia & Jaime,

We are so glad to have a place to drop a quick note to you. We have been praying for you all since your visit to Valparaiso. Praise God for His quick provisions for you.

We have your picture up on our World map, marking where you are and we pray for you often, and will continue to do so.

Grace and peace to you and the kids during your transition.

Matthew and Jennifer

Stephanie said...

Jamie and Julia,

Good to read about how you and the family are doing. We think of you & pray for you often. Glad that Polly's arm is healing well & that you're getting to know people at church. I know that you & the children will be a great source of encouragement & blessing for them.Please give our love to Nadia, Anna & Timmy. Michael & Jesse say hello.
We love you.

Stephanie & Bobby